After a friend asked me what I would be doing while in Kenya AFTER she had read this blog, clarity came knocking on my door. I will share my 'elevator statement' that another friend who is a corporate trainer urged me to put together. How to explain this to others in the time it takes for an elevator ride.
This July I will be leaving for Kenya to volunteer and live in the village of Chwele. I plan to be part of their Harambee practice which in Swahili means -let's pull together for the good of the global community.- This has been my plan & need since I was 17, to live in a different culture than my own, an African country and culture. Seventeen years ago I met Grace Kuto, my Kenyan sister at an international womens' conference in Portland, OR. Grace had established the Chwele community development project in her village in Western Kenya. Grace's inspiration and efforts have updated a medical dispensary built in 1948 but never in operation to a medical clinic that serves 58,000 people from the surrounding area. A resource & peace center of 7,000 square feet will open in August. This is what I will be doing while in this Kenyan village for a year--gardening around the resource center and helping in the village's schools.
I invite you to join me in pulling together for the good of the global community.
No comments:
Post a Comment