Thursday, August 16, 2012

Eleven months until my departure for Chwele, Kenya in the western part of the country--walking distance to Uganda.  My lacking computer skills has kept me from posting a beginning blog here.  I am in need of sharing my process & plans with you so here goes it via my computer angst's. 

I have been thinking of the need to live elsewhere, in another country, in another culture different than my own for the past 40 years.  I met my Kenyan sister, Grace Kuto 17 years ago at an international women's conference where she sat with her newly released book, Harambee Stories & Recipes from the African Family Circle. In Swahili Harambee means 'Let's pull together for global good.' With the sales of her book and a foundation established-the Chwele Community Development Project has improved the medical facilities, health & well being of her village. I am so excited & blessed to be part of this project & human connection.

A timeline since this February--  My dear hearted dog of 16 years, Anna Moe died in February shortly after my birthday.  I miss her much while her passing has opened up this opportunity for me to go to Kenya at long last.  I live in a community land trust & they require that they grant permission to vacate the premises & rent my home while 'off island.'  This was granted on April 11.  About 10 days later an interested renter came to look & see.  As she was leaving & looking back at my flower beds, she said ''I can see myself gardening here."  No done deal  yet but I am hopeful.  The next proof of departure was my passport which arrived in 3 weeks not the stated 6 to 8.  Okay then, a critical piece for my departure.

I am in process & feeling great about it.  I've appreciated & enjoyed people's interest, energy & excitement when I share of this Project of mine & those who are supporting me.  It is a shared project.

Asante for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment