Monday, October 8, 2012

Health considerations--

In June I saw my nurse practitioner for beginning considerations on living in good health for a year on the equator in western Kenya.  She has done Peace Corp work in the Republic of the Congo.  As I'm busy asking about how to get my prescription drugs & immunizations she calmly says to me, " Mary Ann, if you could choose 1 thing to prepare yourself best for this time ( and the rest of your life!) it is to be physically fit."  Okay then, I will rise to the occasion & challenge and become fit.  Please be expecting that of me.

I have this jungle nurse of my own.  She has been excitable, supportive & is continually sharing great ideas of how we will go about this project of mine.  This is truly a group & community effort and I know this Kenyan calling is not just about me. So--health considerations, I asked my hair dresser about how long it would take to grow my hair out for working & living in Kenya.  She considered this and then suggested I cut my hair very short before leaving, then have it shaved during the year that I am there. Because of Lice, you see.  I could & would do this -have my hair shaved- but I want to avoid the hair cut needed through-out the year.  I called my jungle nurse. She says that  lice is a world wide epidemic, and to put tea tree oil in my shampoo with the lice combs she'll send with me.  I've picked my share of  4th & 5th grade students' hair. My 1st principal was impressed that I found some of those icky buggers in girl's blond hair.  The girl however was of a different mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment